Digitally French

Digitally French

Thursday, July 9, 2015

I'm in Paradise.....

     ..... no doubt about it.  But, as we taxied up to the "tourist beach" by boat, I got a little saddened.  Haiti has the resources and the means to be a great Caribbean nation, the first independent black nation, similar in tourists revenue to its island neighbor The Dominican Republic; however, Haiti's corrupt government stalls progress.  The government actually tries to keep the people un-schooled and poor (sending their personal children abroad for educations and sometimes 'forgetting' to pay the teachers).  As we pull up to Paradise Beach, we can see numerous private homes and private resorts - WHAT!  HERE?  Yes!  I can only imagine how our Haitian friend Marckendy and his two sisters traveling with us may feel.  It reminds me of the frustration I felt a few years ago at the height of teacher pay freezes in North Carolina when I traveled to Europe with two teachers from New Jersey.  To hear the younger one complain about the stress of only getting a 2% pay raise after 3 years and now only making about $70,000 per year.  Forget living cost difference between NC and NJ - there is not a $40,000 per year difference.  I felt like banging my head against the wall because I knew the only culprit in my way was the elected government.  OK.... enough of my 1st world problems and not nearly close to the problems that Haiti faces.  But how frustrating one can feel to know it is only corrupt government that stands in your way of providing for your family.
     For now, I'm ordering one Prestige (Haitian beer) and enjoying the Paradise I can afford.





    Come to find out, this private beach is owned by a New Yorker and we paid $10 to play here for the day. Also today, his son happened to be here hosting a bachelor's party with his friends. I negotiated a koozie from Paradise!  

They can be found on Facebook

     Paradise Beach is located next to Labadee Beach where Royal Caribbean owns some land.  The harsh reality about Royal Caribbean's land is that they have walled it off from the rest of Haiti.  According to my tour guide, visiting tourist may pay to visit the resort but Haitians are not.  Ouch! I'm offended and will not be visiting Royal Caribbean's false pretense of Haiti.

Royal Caribbean's Land and Resort.

The wall blocking off Royal Caribbean from the rest of Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment